2005-06-29 Conference in the European Parliament
Surveys conducted by the European Commission and national governments have shown that, in the field of software and related industries, most of the employment and tax revenue comes from Small and Medium Enterprises (!SMEs), and that !SMEs in this area tend to see the patent system as a danger rather than an opportunity. However, much of the lobbying on software patents that is done in the name of !SMEs has been making legislators believe the opposite. Various lobby groups with vastly different backgrounds all claim to represent SME interests. On 29th of June in the morning the European Confederation of Associations of Small and Medium Enterprises CEA-PME is convening a meeting that should help shed light on enterprises with various business models and on their difficulties in finding a faithful representation in the current lobbying structures of the EU..
place: Brussels European Parliament Spinelli Building / room 5 E2
- time 09.00-15.00
- hosted by !MEPs from EPP-ED, including Zuzanna Roithova (CZ)
- 09:00 Introductory statements from !MEPs and CEA-PME
- 09:30 10 short greeting messages from SME representatives
10:00 André Schenk LL.M.Eur.: "Costs and liability risks in the software patents field"
- 10:15 discussion with privileged participants (SME group, !MEPs, journalists)
- 10:30 10 short greeting messages from SME representatives
11:00 Stefan Pollmeier: Software patents and manufacturing industries
- 11:15 discussion with privileged participants (SME group, !MEPs, journalists)
- 11:30 open discussion
- 12:00 lunch break
13:30 Oliver Lorenz: SME astroturfing in the European Parliament
- 13:45 discussion with privileged participants (SME group, !MEPs, journalists)
14:00 Hartmut Pilch: Patenting computer tomography solutions under the Ten Core Clarifications
- 14:20 discussion with privileged participants (SME group, !MEPs, patent experts)
- 14:40 open discussion
- 15:00 end of conference
A press conference will be held at 10:00 in the press room of the European Parliament.
forum (to get involved more in depth, ask konf0506-help at ffii org for advice)